Street children in Honduras


According to UNICEF, there are more than 100,000,000 street children in the world.  An estimated 40% of these live and sleep on streets, with no adult to care for them or defend them, while the other 60% spend a majority of their time in the streets.  40 million of these kids live in Latin America, where 60% of the total population of children live in poverty.

There are an estimated 40 million street children in Latin America alone.  If they were all in one place, they would have their own country and a seat at the United Nations.

In Honduras, the majority of street kids live in Tegucigalpa or San Pedro Sula, the two largest cities in the country.  Most of them flee from homes where abject poverty, violence, alcoholism, and family disintegration are the norm.  They may beg, steal, dig through trash, shine shoes or do other odd jobs in order to survive.  Most of them become addicted to toxic "yellow" glue, which is highly addictive and extremely damaging to the human body.  Many Honduran street kids do not make it to their eighteenth birthday.

Honduras at a glance


7.3 million population
73% poverty
53% extreme poverty
76% literacy
2 years of school (national average)
51% of population under 18
44% of population urbanised
43% of children do not have access to school
41% of children in Honduras are working